As a Biology Intern for PowerPollen®, role responsibilities will be to actively support both large- and small-scale research and development work in the laboratory, greenhouse, and several research sites within the US. Daily R&D support activities could include laboratory upkeep and preparation of reagents, field set up, assisting with experimental planning and design, experimental execution, and data collection. This development work is designed to enable data driven decisions for process and technology enhancements moving into the 2024 field production season. During the production season, this role will support a fast paced, high throughput/large scale pollen preservation, and field application.
We are seeking people that are highly organized with a strong aptitude for problem solving and innovation. Outside the box thinking is encouraged for this role. If you are self-motivated and comfortable working independently and as a collaborator within a high-performance team you will excel in our company. Willingness to adapt to changing work conditions and being a self-starter with a positive attitude are attributes of successful PowerPollen team members.
Field, Laboratory, and Greenhouse Responsibilities:
- Provide support for greenhouse, field, and laboratory experiments including developing, refining, and following protocols, care of plant material, sample collection, harvesting of ears, and data collection
- Utilize best practice laboratory, greenhouse, and field skills
- Read, understand, and accurately execute experimental protocols and methods
- Keep a detailed record of activities and process modifications
- Be experienced with, or willing to learn Microsoft Excel.
- Prepare and be able to communicate summer field and lab observations, improvement opportunities, key area of accountability in an internship overview to company leadership.
- Be engaged and willing to learn new skills
- Become familiar with and follow all safety protocols and encourage others to do the same
- Driving company owned and leased vehicles safely, potentially assigned to tow/haul
- 2+ years college level academics in: Agriculture, Agronomy, Plant Biology, Ag Systems Tech, Biology
- Familiarity with the seasonality of agriculture and commitment to the in-season time requirements including long days and weekends (typically July 1st thru mid-August)
- Willing to travel to support/perform research and production activities
- Capable and interested in working in fast-paced and diverse environments that includes indoor lab conditions and outdoor agricultural field conditions including high heat and humidity, insect exposure, uneven terrains, and narrow and sight limited workspaces while active agricultural equipment is in operation
- Willingness to cross-train for other jobs within the organization as needed
- Ability to walk, stand or sit for prolonged periods
- Ability and desire to drive off-road vehicles and haul trailers
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protection of PowerPollen critical and proprietary assets including systems, equipment and knowledge
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Prior farm, field or agricultural work a plus
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.
Form used for contact and resume submissions.