The Production Operations Associate position will support PowerPollen® technologies expansion and scale up through execution of production trials and experiments that demonstrate efficacy and consistency of the PowerPollen® technology under varying field conditions and crop genetics.
Duties and responsibilities
Ensure operational effectiveness in customer fields
- Follow safety protocols and positively encourage other team members to do the same
- Review and understand field operation objectives before execution
- Review and understand field research protocols and execute effectively and completely
- Ensure proper experimental methods are followed by field crews
Establish appropriate field layout for demonstrating PowerPollen technology
- Review, discuss, and optimize field layout with team lead field by field as needed
- Assist with selection of appropriate test sites within fields
- Mark out trials to ensure treatments are correctly located and applied
- Record / map each field to ensure tracking of treatments and sample locations
Operate field equipment to company standards showcasing the capabilities of PowerPollen technology
- Learn operational requirements to operate high-clearance field equipment safely and effectively to PowerPollen specifications under minimal supervision
- Become capable of identifying equipment failure points and adjusting / repairing minor aspects in the field to enable ongoing operations
Assist with various aspects of research that further the goals of PowerPollen
- Prepare and execute appropriate controls in production fields
- Assist with sample harvest, processing and data collection as needed
- Review and understand field research and operation objectives before execution.
- Assist with development, implementation, execution, and improvement of protocols.
- Supervise field crews as assigned
- Keep detailed record of activities for use in reports and data summaries
- Present self and PowerPollen in a professional, safe, and efficient seed production minded manner in all interactions with customers
- Adhere to all standards and protocols agreed upon by both PowerPollen and customer while in customer field setting
- Assist and instruct others on appropriate customer specific protocols (safety and business operations) as agreed upon between PowerPollen and the customer
- Adaptable and interested in continually changing work and physical environments. Self-sufficient and self-starter capable of entering a new geography, acclimate quickly and reliably to field, work team and personal living conditions.
- Positive and driven, with a problem-solving attitude.
- Experience working in a start-up environment or experience and genuine interest in working in a rapidly evolving and changing atmosphere including comfort working with assigned areas of responsibility as well as helping others in their areas of expertise as needed.
- BS degree plus entry level experience in a science related role at the research assistant level or beyond with field experience
- Previous experience overseeing teams or crews including employees and contracted labor
- Highly organized
- Self-motivation and independent drive with an ability to work with highly effective teams
- Willing to travel (estimated 30-40% with periods of extended travel e.g., 2 – 3 weeks at a site), possibly on short-notice
This position requires work in varying conditions including field, warehouse and laboratory spaces throughout the year including crop fields when weather conditions are extremely hot/humid, and insects are present. Safe operation of motor vehicles on and off-road including field equipment and towing is expected.
The position involves physical activity including lifting objects up to 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, ability to tolerate heat and humidity conditions typical of mid-western USA field conditions in summer, with extended hours that will vary with crop development in different locales.
Position reports to Senior Manager, Operations and Tech Transfer or other members of PowerPollen® team as assigned
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. PowerPollen is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.