Join the PowerPollen® team of global innovation leaders for pollination systems aligned on a mission to preserve & enhance global agricultural production, sustainability and profitability by enabling superior pollination systems.
What do you gain:
As a Professional Intern for PowerPollen®, you will have the opportunity and unique experience to join an industry revolutionizing team. Conducting and supporting science and discovery and making practical applications that are novel and first of their kind. We offer multiple Spring 2023 internship positions that are primarily focused on Biology.
Your role as a PowerPollen Professional Intern will include actively supporting both large- and small-scale research and development work in controlled environments/greenhouses and field research sites within the US. Daily R&D support activities could include laboratory upkeep and preparation of reagents, field set up and planning for experiments, assisting with experimental design, experimental execution, and data collection. This development work is designed to enable data driven decisions for process and technology enhancements moving into annual field production seasons. During the production season, our internship roles will support mechanical pollen collection, high throughput/large scale pollen preservation, and field application offering the opportunity to experience the full range and cycle of biology and production.
PowerPollen Professional Interns gain experience and credibiity in their field of study and are offered the opportunity to learn and lead with their peers, team members, leadership team and often customers and partners.
What are we seeking:
Individuals that are highly organized with a strong aptitude for problem solving and innovation. Outside the box thinking is essential. If you are self-starter, comfortable working independently or as a collaborator within a high-performance team and willing to adapt to frequently changing work conditions, you’ve checked a box for us!
Some essential responsibilities:
- Read, understand, and accurately execute experimental protocols and methods
- Keep a detailed record of activities and process modifications
- Be experienced with, or willing to learn Excel for use as a data analysis tool
- Assist in preparing for discussions with company leadership on key areas of accountability, summer field and lab observations, improvement opportunities and season end internship overview
- Be engaged and willing to learn new skills
- Become familiar with and follow all safety protocols and encourage others to do the same
- Occasionally drive a company owned or leased vehicle or off-road vehicle safely. Potentially assigned to tow/haul.
Biology Professional Internship requirements:
- 2+ years college level academics in: Agriculture, Agronomy, Plant Biology, Ag Systems Tech, Biology
- Familiarity with the seasonality of agriculture and commitment to the in-season time requirements including long days and weekends (typically July 1st thru mid-August)
- Willing to travel to support/perform research and production activities
- Capable and interested in working in fast-paced and diverse environments that includes indoor lab conditions and outdoor agricultural field conditions including high heat and humidity, insect exposure, uneven terrains, and narrow and sight limited workspaces with all while active agricultural equipment is in operation
- Willingness to cross-train for other jobs within the organization as needed
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protection of PowerPollen critical and proprietary assets including systems, equipment and knowledge
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Prior farm, field or agricultural work a plus
The position involves physical activity including lifting objects up to 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, ability to tolerate heat and humidity typical of local field conditions, walking/standing or sitting for prolonged periods (field, lab or computer screen). Some extended hours that will vary with crop development in different locales may be necessary.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.