As a Grain Research Intern for PowerPollen®, role responsibilities will be to actively support both large- and small-scale research and development work in field plots and commercial fields in the US. Support activities may include planting, establishing, and maintaining high quality field plots, field set up and planning for experiments, understanding and executing experiment protocols, and data collection. We are seeking individuals that are highly organized, willing to adapt to changing work conditions, self-motivated with a positive attitude, have a strong aptitude for problem solving and innovation, and are comfortable working independently or as a collaborator with high performance teams.
• Assist with plot management and care
• Read, understand, and accurately execute experiment protocols and methods: attention to detail is important
• Participate in experiment setup and provide feedback to improve experiment protocols and methods
• Keep detailed records of activities and process modifications, produce data summaries and reports
· Organize field layout with tags and execute data collection, including harvest and image processing
· Field machine operation as necessary
• Drive company owned and leased vehicles safely, potentially assigned to tow/haul
• Become familiar with and follow all safety protocols and encourage others to do the same
• Assist in preparing for discussions with company leadership on key areas of accountability, summer field observations, improvement opportunities, and season end internship overview
• Be engaged and willing to learn new skills
• Present a professional demeanor when interacting with cooperators and co-workers
• 2+ years college level academics in: Agriculture, Agronomy, Plant Biology, Ag Systems Tech, Biology
• Familiarity with the seasonality of agriculture and commitment to the in-season time requirements including long days and weekends (typically July 1st thru mid-August)
• Willing to travel to support/perform research activities (likely limited to Midwestern USA)
• Capable and interested in working in fast-paced and diverse environments that may include indoor lab conditions, warehouse conditions, and outdoor agricultural field conditions including high heat and humidity, insect exposure, uneven terrains, and narrow and sight limited workspaces while active agricultural equipment is in operation
• Willingness to cross-train for other jobs within the organization as needed
• Ability to walk, stand or sit for prolonged periods
• Ability and willing to drive farm implements, off-road vehicles, and possibly haul trailers
• Ability and willing to maintain confidentiality and protection of PowerPollen critical and proprietary assets including systems, equipment, and knowledge
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record
• Prior farm, field, or agricultural work a plus
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.