Join the PowerPollen® team of global innovation leaders for pollination systems aligned on a mission to preserve & enhance global agricultural production, sustainability and profitability by enabling superior pollination systems.
What do you gain:
As a Professional Intern for PowerPollen®, you will have the opportunity and unique experience to join an industry revolutionizing team. Conducting and supporting science and discovery and making practical applications that are novel and first of their kind. We offer multiple Spring 2023 internship positions that are primarily focused on Operations.
Your role as a PowerPollen Professional Intern will include assisting in the execution of our biology and engineering technologies in large scale field operations for seed production. Our internship roles support mechanical pollen collection, high throughput/large scale pollen preservation, and field application offering the opportunity to experience the full range and cycle of biology and production.
PowerPollen Professional Interns gain experience and credibility in their field of study and are offered the opportunity to learn and lead with their peers, team members, leadership team and often customers and partners.
What are we seeking:
Individuals that are highly organized with a strong aptitude for problem solving and innovation. Outside the box thinking is essential. If you are self-starter, comfortable working independently or as a collaborator within a high-performance team and willing to adapt to frequently changing work conditions, you’ve checked a box for us!
Some essential responsibilities:
- Assist with development, implementation, execution, and improvement of experimental protocols
- Assist with plot management and care
- Participate in experiment setup and ensure experimental methods are followed
- Organize field layout with tags and execute data collection, including outdoor harvest and image processing
- Logistics planning and support in seed production opportunities
- Field machine operation as necessary
- Keep a detailed record of activities and produce reports and data summaries
• Drive company owned and leased vehicles safely, potentially assigned to tow/haul
• Become familiar with and follow all safety protocols and encourage others to do the same
- Provide support for greenhouse/growth chamber and laboratory experiments including developing, refining, and following protocols, care of plant material, sample collection, data collection, including outdoor harvest and data collection, and analysis
• Utilize best practice laboratory skills
Operations Professional Internship requirements:
- 2+ years college level academics preferably agriculture or biology related
- Familiarity with the seasonality of agriculture and commit to the in-season time requirements including long days and weekends (typically July & August)
- Capable and interested in working in fast-paced and diverse environments that includes warehouse, indoor lab conditions and outdoor agricultural field conditions including high heat & humidity, insect exposure, uneven terrains, narrow and sight limited workspaces all with active agricultural equipment in operation
- Willing to travel as needed (primarily Midwestern US)
- Willingness to cross-train for other jobs within the organization as needed
- Ability to drive field / off-road vehicles for prolonged periods
- Able to maintain confidentiality and protection of PowerPollen critical and proprietary assets including systems, equipment and knowledge
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Prior farm, field or agricultural work a plus
The position involves physical activity including lifting objects up to 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, ability to tolerate heat and humidity typical of local field conditions, walking/standing or sitting for prolonged periods (field, lab or computer screen). Some extended hours that will vary with crop development in different locales may be necessary.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.