Join a team of innovators on a mission to develop novel pollen collection, preservation, and application technologies needed to make major advances in agricultural production, sustainability, and profitability. At PowerPollen® our pollination technologies are aimed at revolutionizing the sustainable production of food, feed, fuel for the future.
The Sr. Design Engineer, based in Puerto Rico will be responsible for leading design efforts for the development of prototypes and early field testing in a high-technology research & development agriculture setting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Team based role representing engineering in a crop specific group that will involve brainstorming, design, testing, and biology practices/learnings.
- Utilize up-to-date engineering design technologies, tools, and practices to facilitate delivery of products as well as bringing the designs from small scale prototypes to large scale production environments.
- Support timely, controlled, and compliant design changes. Participate in multi-disciplinary collaboration with equipment designers, fabricators and soft/hardware engineers, and others to pursue and achieve business objectives, on time, at cost with optimal quality.
- Assist in establishing protocols and participate in product qualification, contract negotiation, manufacturing processes, and production-based support documentation.
- Execute overall systems design, development and integration of mechanical and structural systems. Progress designs all the way through detailed design, drawing generation, parts procurement, and hands-on assembly, machine integration and testing.
- Coordinate implementation of new designs and develop transition plans to bridge between design revisions.
- Design and analyze mechanical systems and equipment. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs. Ensure the designs have been validated and thoroughly documented prior to production release.
- Effectively assure understandable and continuous technical communication with internal and external stakeholders. Present material in a concise and professional manner to a wide variety of individuals including customers, leadership team, co-workers, other internal or external stakeholders as needed.
- Assess and effectively understand the opportunities and challenges for technical success in new environments and facilities and help estimate timeline and cost while working to customize design solutions for specific field and/or customer situations and conditions.
- Gather information and data from equipment and field processes to pass along to the Engineering, Operations and Biology Research/Development teams.
- Work collaboratively with strategic equipment partners, internal customers and their technical field teams.
- Lead relationships with external fabricators and vendors to ensure equipment is built, installed, or created to PowerPollen standards.
- Understand and conform to relevant industry, customer and PowerPollen safety standards.
- Stay up-to-date regarding your field of engineering and technology relative to agriculture, the production seed industry and PowerPollen.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Necessary Knowledge
- Experience leading or participating in agricultural/industrial projects.
- Proficiency with English language required, bilingual with Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Agricultural, or Industrial Engineering preferred.
- 3 – 5+ years experience in a technical or engineering related role, preferably in agriculture or agricultural services industry.
- SolidWorks 3D CAD modeling experience and additive manufacturing (3D rapid prototype printing) preferred.
- Engineering aptitude with solid hands-on mechanical skills, an R&D focus and knowledge of production agriculture systems.
- Demonstrated prior small project management experience.
- Working knowledge of mechanical and/or hydraulic and/or electrical systems.
- Experience developing, simulating and validating systems for agriculture or construction machinery.
- Aptitude for innovation and trouble-shooting.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments to complete assignments/tasks on time.
- Ability to apply creative approaches and ideas to solve problems, maximizing the effective use of resources.
- Action-oriented, flexible, objective and an excellent communicator able to work effectively in both a team setting and individually with limited oversight.
- Ability to learn data systems and work remotely using mobile devices.
This position works in varying conditions including normal office setting, fabrication shop, and typical in-season agricultural environment. This includes working in crop fields when weather conditions are extremely hot/humid and insects are present and long periods of standing/walking may be required.
Travel: This position requires between 30-40% domestic and international travel. The months of high intensity travel are June, July, August, and September, but occasional travel outside these months is possible. Travel periods may be up to 3 weeks per block.
This position involves physical activity including lifting objects up to 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, ability to tolerate heat and humidity-typical of local field conditions, with extended hours that will vary with crop development in different locales.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Form used for contact and resume submissions.