Join a team of innovators aligned on a mission to improve global agricultural production, sustainability and profitability through novel pollen preservation and utilization techniques.
This senior level Scientist position will be responsible for contributing to and leading the advancement of Power Pollen’s patented proprietary technology for pollen management.
This position will progress PowerPollen® research theory and validation to enable scale up to large field applications via science focused on pollen preservation. Executing against and enabling company goal achievement through the lab and field operations.
- Design and execute precise science plans leading to the development of new discoveries or the evolution, enhancement, and progress of existing PowerPollen scientific knowledge.
- Serve as liaison with internal and external contacts regarding research objectives and activities.
- Collaborate with other researchers to develop protocols to advance our knowledge on plant reproductive physiology and pollen preservation technology.
- Generate and analyze data to develop understanding of pollen interactions with receptive plant tissues.
- Support data compilation, analysis, and generating technical reports and methods to support development of commercial applications.
- Guide safe and effective testing processes with the proper control strategies.
- Assist with the development and scaling of technologies for commercial deployment and facilitate process up-scaling through management of lab, growth chamber and field activities.
- Rigorously study and utilize relevant technical literature and recent scientific advances in the field as additive to PowerPollen internal science or to assure we do not invest in re-inventing existing technologies or discoveries.
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of new research avenues either from external sources, own studies, or contributions of team members.
- Required travel approximately 30% to successfully execute & oversee experimentation year-round Will be heavily involved in research efforts in Puerto Rico.
- Present to company leadership on key areas of accountability, providing insight, lessons learned, enhancements, issues, and resolution proposals.
People Leadership Responsibilities
- Manage research personnel in our agricultural labs and field-testing sites.
- Guide and invest time with employees to contribute to the goals of the company and to encourage individual and team professional growth.
- Participate in strategic planning, budgetary, safety, quality, and workforce issues for research employees.
- Establish, nurture, and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Capable of seeing a barrier or issue as an opportunity to overcome a challenge in the delivery of excellent results.
Laboratory & Field Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee lab based scientific efforts related to the PowerPollen PL program(s).
- Oversee experiment planning, planting strategy and allocation for field activities.
- Maintains oversight in all aspects of establishment and maintenance of testing grounds; including but not limited to pest management, fertilization, isolation, and harvest of experiments.
- Follow safety protocols and positively encourage other team members to do the same.
- Review and understand field and laboratory research objectives and protocols before execution and ensure experimental methods are followed properly by field and lab crews.
- Assure own and team members keep detailed record of activities, produce reports and data summaries, and memorialize process modifications in laboratory notebooks.
- Collaborate with other team members in complex projects synchronizing activities for best use of resources.
- Plant physiologist, microbiologist, with bio-chemistry background and/or experience.
- Molecular, metabolic, and bio-chemical expertise required to compliment PowerPollen’s strong field science base.
- Prior work and knowledge of small-scale biology.
- Experience performing advanced science and published as a senior author.
- Strong, demonstrated experience as a principal investigator with a desire to remain in this hands-on arena going forward.
- Generating proper statistical designs for field and laboratory testing.
- Experience with plant cell analytical methods including flow cytometry, mass spec; single cell viability testing, and enzyme activity quantification. Familiarity with instrumental analysis
- Prefer PhD in life sciences and 3-5 years of industry experience in a science related role. MSc with additional industry experience will be considered.
- Cryo-biology background beneficial provided incumbent possesses other required qualifications
- Prefer incumbent has a strong lab science orientation with field science experience.
- Experience with cell culture and cell viability assessments.
- Experience and understanding of plant metabolism and/or the inner composition of pollen and pollen longevity.
- Relevant experience with isolating, culturing, and freezing cells.
General Workplace Experiences Required
- Experience working in a start-up environment or experience and genuine interest in working in a rapidly evolving and changing atmosphere including comfort working with assigned areas of responsibility as well as helping others in their areas of expertise as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), and statistics/graphing software for data analysis and presentation.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, problem-solve, prioritize assignments, and adjust priorities to meet goals in a fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team and with external partners.
- Demonstrated capability to quickly establish and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders including ability to influence, negotiate and reach mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Skill in common agricultural practices, including management of field crops, and controlled environment facilities. Mechanical aptitude for adjusting and identifying of issues that require external support.
- Able to build and maintain a network allowing for continued advancement and scaling of company capabilities. Driven, problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to train others and work with untrained personnel. Able to communicate fluently in English (Spanish beneficial) and in verbal and written form.
- Previous experience overseeing teams, crews including employees and contracted labor.
- Willing to work occasional holidays and weekends based on project demands.
This position will work in varying conditions including normal laboratory setting to typical in-season agricultural environment. This includes working in crop fields when weather conditions are extremely hot/humid, insects are present, and extended periods of standing/walking may be required. The incumbent should be capable and interested in working in an environment that includes indoor lab conditions and outdoor agricultural conditions throughout the year. Incumbent will spend significant period utilizing fine motor movement instruments (microscopes, lights, etc.) as well as standard computing equipment (laptops, smartphones, etc.)
The position involves physical activity including lifting objects up to 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, ability to tolerate heat and humidity typical of local field conditions, with extended hours that will vary with crop development in different locales. Extended periods sitting and viewing computer screen monitors and standing at lab facilities.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. PowerPollen is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
PowerPollen® is an equal opportunity employer.